Thursday, December 20, 2007

"Such a Pretty Me!"

Remember that song from "Flower Drum Song"? - "I feel pretty, oh so pretty" and "see the pretty girl in the mirror there, who could that pretty girl be?" - "such a pretty face, such a pretty (somethin') - such a pretty me!"

That song, along with "Look at Me I'm Sandra Dee" are long time standards in the Soundtrack to My Life. They come up all on their own when I'm feeling anything but pretty.

I think we all have a Soundtrack to Our Life - songs that pop into our heads at a particular moment - I have taken to letting the songs splain' to me what I'm feeling.

I'm still banging my head against that deadline. The printer has finally agreed to behave and for that I'm grateful but the papers that need pushing just keep growing and growing.

Yesterday I worked - well I was at my desk - from 6AM to 3AM this morning - my only break was my visit to the therapist and to Stop N' Shop. Imagine if they had therapy booths at the Stop N' Shop - oh the efficiency.

Since I'm still recovering from the "Elephant Leg" mishap I've been trying to balance the need to care for myself with the need to meet this deadly deadline. The leg needs to be elevated so I've got boxes (full of incomplete work and unwrapped Christmas gifts) stacked next to my desk and adorned with a giant pillow. The leg must go there whether it wants to or not several times a day. Given that the infection that led to "Elephant Leg" is still hanging around (for the holiday I assume) I have developed an abscess in a very unmentionable area - let's just say that when the leg ain't elevatin' the pillow is moved to my chair.

Add to this a lack of sleep and well - "such a pretty me" - At one point last night/this morning I was wrapped in a blanket wearing old sweatpants and a football jersey. My hair is shoved under a huge headband and I don't even remember where my make-up bag is. Even my beloved earrings have been forsaken. My earlobes are just too tired to hold them up. Oh and undergarments are such a drag at 3AM - I'm thinking of wrapping my desk with crib bumpers so I don't injure myself any further. And I've had another T-shirt idea - "Just cause my boobies are droopin' don't mean I can't have a nice day"

Now I really don't want any sympathy - just send chocolate. And I'm actually in a fine state of mind - coffee induced. The carrot at the end of my shiny nose is putting up my Christmas tree once I hit send on this data file.

I just wanted to share this vision of me - if I were really brave I'd enclose a photo but trust me, use your imagination.

And I wanted to confirm for myself that the light at the end of the tunnel might actually be Christmas - and not the oncoming train.

Edit: It was brought to my attention that my pretty girl song is from "West Side Story" - the song from "Flower Drum Song" is "I Enjoy Being a Girl" - clearly my inner IPOD shuffle needs some rest. Thanks to Cathy who always looks out for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And I wanted to confirm for myself that the light at the end of the tunnel might actually be Christmas - and not the oncoming train."


lol, that's the story of my life!

Anonymous said...

Dianne, I mean Di, I'm so glad you decided to write a blog. For two reasons:

#1- Your daily accounts are so real and funny (thanks to your syle of writing), even though they may be upsetting to you while they're happening.

#2- I get to find out what's been going on with you. Your leg is still infected? I'd go for a second opinion. I'm Jewish, and we believe in the God of Second Opinions!

Also, I've had that abcess in the 'unmentionable place'. It's at the end of your coccyx bone (the one at the end of your spine). I had to get that lanced by a surgeon. So, don't ignore it. It may just go away by itself. I got it when I was 19 and had a huge cast on my leg. I also had to sit on that 'place' a lot. I learned my lesson that year. I just can't play basketball!

Oh, I just thought of a third reason why I'm glad you're blogging:

I get to blog on your blog!

Dianne said...

I am seeing a new doctor right after the New Year Cher - first appt. I could get. Nana came to me in a dream and she was not pleased with this current doc. LOL

And I'm thrilled that you're blogging on my blog. My house is your house.

and thanks for all the kind words - you know they mean a lot to me.