Saturday, May 17, 2008

My Wordzzle Goes Mega!


Oh be still my heart! I have finally done a mega! I don’t know how and I don’t know why but creative juices are just oozing out of my pores. Or maybe that’s just alcohol poisoning? Or an infection?

Shush – demons in my head. It is Mega and I have created it. I shall be pleased and proud – at least for a moment.

Please go over to Raven’s Nest and check out all the other Wondrous Wordzzlers.

Ten Word Challenge: sergeant, lunatic, peanut butter and jelly, cyber space, flattery, musician, auspicious, cardinal, paprika, flowering plum tree

And the Mini Challenge: sinister, magazine, American flag, rain storm, chess board

The young sergeant stood tall; he looked even larger and younger beside Cardinal O’Toole who was stooped over, his robes spreading out around him like a flowering plum tree. Paprika Paterson watched from a distance. She was here to cover this auspicious, in her mind sinister, event for her cyber space magazine. Paprika had staked out her spot in the wee hours of the morning. She needed a place where she could see yet not be seen; a place where her camera could capture all the images. In her minds eye the scene about to play out before her appeared as a chess board; a chess board designed by a lunatic. She shifted positions and tried to pull her sweater down under her, last night’s rain storm had left the ground around her soggy and muddy. She was also starting to worry that the gatekeeper would give her up; how much time could insincere flattery and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich really get her. A lone military musician, in a crisp pristine uniform, began to play. Paprika’s camera took on a life of its own as one by one the coffins were carried off the plane. Each box draped with an American flag, each box carrying a life sacrificed in the name of greed and corruption. The scene was almost too much to bear; Paprika felt a chill and her eyes filled up with tears. No wonder they didn’t want Americans to see this; it was impossible to watch without asking why.

22 comments:

Raven said...

I bow in awe. Your first mega is mega powerful. Well done as aways. This "war" just breaks my heart. I'd better stop there or I'll start ranting again.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Congratulations! - Wear your Mega Badge proudly. As always I am envious of your talent. j

bobbie said...

OMG
You are the queen of Wordzzle. You could not have chosen a better direction for your story to go.

Richard said...

Dianne, I see as I bow out of political commentary for a while, you and Katherine are taking up the helm.

Great story.

Rich

Dianne said...

raven - heart breaking it is! so much of what goes on right now is enough to start a rant that would never stop, I try to remain hopeful. thank you for more kind words.

awwww mr. simser - you make me blush.

thanks bobbie - it just started to pour out. that's what I love about Wordzzle, it really does inspire creativity and challenge the brain.

richard - you are impossible to replace! we all do what we can.

Betty said...

Great story! And, how right you are.

Jay said...

Great Mega Diane!! Very powerful visuals and heartbreaking at the same time.

Dianne said...

betty - thank you! How I hope things change - say around November!

jay - thanks - your mega was awesome and you do them all the time. this was the first time I felt I could make it work.

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Dianne! Congrats on your first Mega Wordzzle. Very moving. As alway great job. Lisa

Unknown said...

dianne: I'm not surprised that you did the mega! You are AWESOME!

Have a nice weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

Diane, I saw the stadium down in Coney Island today but I've never been in it! Congrats on your mega Wordzzle. Did you find my Wordzzle? It's at my other blog: Answers to the Questions.

tt said...

Fab!! You did yourself proud and we are in awe of your greatness...again!

Bobkat said...

What a wonderfully poignant and powerful piece you have written. It is definitely 'of the time' and so well composed. I love how it unforlds to show why she is there.

Jo said...

That was wonderful---what a debut mega! You captured so much in such a short space...so simply powerful.

The ending slipped in so subtly, and left me breathless.

the walking man said...

Dianne

Peace Now!

mark

Akelamalu said...

A sad but very powerful megawordzzle Dianne, well done. x

Odat said...

Wow...I thought it was going someplace else when I first started reading it......took me by surprise...
Well done.

Peace

Linda Murphy said...

Hello! What a wordzzle and I just want to hug Paprika (what a terrific name, btw). It is a wrenching story and I think you did a superlative job on the mega.

I hope all is well for you. I hope to stop by more regularly once school is done....and a big hello to Si and Mi from the boys.

Dianne said...

thanks Lisa!!

michael - you're pretty awesome yourself :) thank you

maryt - I didn't find your Wordzzle, Mr. Linky took me to the CI post but I'll go find it. If you ever have the chance to go to a game at the little stadium do it! Great fun!!

tt - awwwwww. often you just make me go awwwwww. and then I blush.

bobkat - thanks for saying it "unfolds" - that is a great compliment.

jo - to unfold and then to be subtle. ooooh makes me happy.

mark - Amen!!

thank you akelamalu

odat - I think the scene of coffins coming home should be the least Americans have to see. It's so easy to not get involved when all the pain is hidden away. Thanks odat - Peace.

snoopmurph - Mi and Si say Hi to the boys. They will be posting their next slideshow this week so tell the boys to come take a look :)

Smalltown RN said...

That was awesome....very powerful....

Schmoop said...

Paprika...I actually like that as a name. Cheers!!

Dianne said...

thank you so much smalltown rn!!

matt - I like it too!