Saturday, January 24, 2009

It's A Wordzzle Inside A Meme Wrapped In 6 Things

10 Word Challenge: air tight seal, bitter cold, draft card, diner, paragon of virtue, broken computer monitor, CPR, a love of folk music, scatter-brained, can of worms

mini challenge: California here I come, Springtime in Alberta, panorama, etchings, miracle foot repair,

This is my second go at what I have decided to call “Reality Wordzzles” – hopefully they’re better than reality TV. Last week I posted my heartfelt goodbye to Bush. This week I’m doing a “Six Random Things About Me” post. I was tagged by SPARTACUS and because he is a sexy mofo with a lovely family and he’s from Long Island which is really just Brooklyn with bigger driveways I decided to do it.

Only for you Sparty!

So I’m supposed to post the rules here. I really can’t deal with that crap. I think I’m supposed to link back – OK done. And then I’m supposed to stand on one foot while tweaking my left nipple and yodeling the Star Spangled Banner. OK – done. Actually I did it several times – not the one foot or the yodeling part but everything else.

Oh yeah – and I’m supposed to tag 6 other people. Ain’t gonna happen.

And now without further fanfare (or nipple tweaking) I give you …

Six Random Things About Me – Written in Wordzzle.


1 – I bought one of those food saver things – the fancy, expensive one that claims to create an air tight seal for all my leftovers. It was featured on Oprah’s ‘My Favorite Things’ special a few years ago. It sat there among the vast panorama of goodies and was one of the few things I could afford. I think I used it twice.

2 – I love the winter. I love the crisp, cold air – not the bitter cold mind you, but the cold that clears your head.

3 – In the early 90s – just when my son was turning 18 - the US military reinstated the practice of all young people registering for Selective Service. The thought of my son having a draft card was more than I could bear, especially since he had already expressed an interest in joining the army. I grew up during Vietnam and had, as I still do, a healthy dose of skepticism regarding my country’s ability to care much about where they send our children. Since I’m no fake paragon of virtue anyway I have no problem saying I would easily fight my child being sent somewhere we don’t have any business being. I’m sure these sentiments have the ability to open a can of worms but that’s the way it is. If you want bullshit you’re reading the wrong blog.

4 – In preparation for being a first time Grandma I am going to take a newborn care class at a local hospital. The class includes sessions about nutrition and sleep and infant CPR which is a bit different from adult CPR. I’m trying to convince my neighbor to take the class with me. Then we can stop at the diner on the way home for Jamaican coffee. I also have a set of very old Disney etchings that I hope my daughter-in-law will want to display in the nursery. I’ve had them since I was a child. Now if I could just find a miracle foot repair. The ankle is still acting up and I want to be in running after toddler shape by the time the baby gets here.

5 – One of my biggest dreams is to drive across the country. Actually I’d like to start in Canada, maybe springtime in Alberta, and make my way down and across. Oh yeah! California here I come. How cool it would be to do it in a VW bus – the ones that were famous in my hippie dippie days. I’d paint it purple and stock the CD player with tons of Joni Mitchell. That would indulge my spirit and satisfy my love of folk music.

6 – I used to have a terrible temper. I can still get my Irish up but now it’s more vocal than physical. When I was younger I was big on throwing things. My sister – in one of her most scatter brained moments ever – picked my son up from baseball practice and brought him straight home – with a broken wrist! Her response to my questioning why she didn’t go directly to a hospital was – “He said it didn’t hurt and I have a date.” Her blasé attitude led to a screaming match which culminated in my throwing an iron at her head. When she later asked how I could have done something so dangerous my answer was – “Well it wasn’t like it was hot.” She was extremely lucky I didn’t have a computer at home in those days or there would have been a broken computer monitor at her feet – or on her head.

That’s my (6) story and I’m sticking to it.

For far better Wordzzles than this go by RAVEN’S PLACE

41 comments:

kenju said...

Only you could combine three memes and do it so well!! Excellent! and fun to read.

I'm not a thrower, I'm a screamer.

Dr.John said...

A very creative use of the words indeed.

bettygram said...

Interesting way to do two things at once. Very good.
I had a VW like that and it broke down in Canada at the border.

Melli said...

ROFLMBO!!! You are a stitch! Don't forget to toss a little Joan Baez in there on that road trip! (and pick me UP on the way!)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Oh, Dianne. I am so with you on the armed forces thing. Patrick (my 15 y.o) and I have had arguments about this. He says he will go anywhere his country asks him etc. etc. I'm not getting why we have to stay and "keep peace" any of these places and some of the UN stuff really scares me. I saw Michael New speak way, way back at a Persian Gulf war protest (hey, three of us showed up ok?? :]) and would never want this to happen to my sons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_New


PS. You are really awesome at these wordzzle challenges!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

OK, NOW I am going crazy. I am revisiting this fellow's website and the timeline is all off. I've either met a different guy with the SAME STORY or the story is wrong. Probably a different guy with the same story, which makes the whole "joining the army" prospect even *more* frightening LOL!

PS has Obama reversed the don't ask thing? Because, conservative that I am, that has to be the stewpidist thing. If secular businesses should have to follow a set of rules in hiring then so should the government.

Hugs to you today, Dianne! Thank you for your kind comments on my blog.

Linda said...

Could this be a new phenomena called "Six Degrees of Memeing"? Sorry ... it's early and I'm out of coffee so am only running off of tea this morning!

Very creative and clever as well as spot on with so many things such as our country sticking our nose in where it has no business being. That seems to be a running theme for our government - perhaps it will change?

Enjoy that road trip - just beware that they took Paradise and put up a parking lot!

Cherie said...

What a cute idea! And very well done. Sorry I've been MIA. I went to a wedding up North and have had limited access. Missed you muchly! :)

Sparkling Red said...

I threw stuff at my husband's head once, but I missed on purpose. I was really mad, but not quite mad enough to want to hurt him. I just wanted him to THINK I was that mad.

Akelamalu said...

Oh fabulous Dianne, how clever of you to incorporate the words into a meme! Genious!

Dianne said...

kenju - thanks!!
I'm a screamer now too and, I'm a bit ashamed to say, I'm also a plotter of revenge ;)

dr. john - thank you :)

bettygram - on no! I have a VW sedan right now and it's so old I doubt I'd make it out of the state

melli - love Joan!
what a hoot we would be and have - you must bring all your hats so we can dress up in each state we visit

mrs c - the places I feel we should help we don't and the places that need our diplomacy we bomb and the places ... well you get my drift
I don't think he has reversed don't ask yet - I do believe he will
what worries me right now about the military is that because of the economy more and more poor and middle class kids who would be going to college are joining the military instead - nothing wrong with service - but I would want to be sure there is a military that values them - Bush's generals were mostly puppets - the good ones all retired
we shall see
as for kind comments - well the posts about the kids are all so fabulous :)

linda - out of coffee!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!
I love that Joni song :)

cherie - I was checking in on you every couple of days
you need to put up a 'gone fishing' sign ;)
missed you muchly too

sparkling - luckily for those in my path I can't throw - I have never once hit a target

akelamalu - thanks!! coming from the Queen of Clever that's a cool compliment :)

Anonymous said...

Hah. Nice work here, Dianne. But let me know how that cross-country road trip in a VW van works out for you; especially, if you decide to bring along your grandchild when he or she is a toddler. :)

Sylvia K said...

Ah, you make me laugh, you make me remember, you make me feel better about my own temper, although it has gotten quieter over the years, besides I never could hit anything anyway. And you are definitely the Queen of Wordzzles! Have a great weekend!

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Oh my God! - You just raised the bar - way way up. So neat. and when you are driving through Ames (or Des Moines) on your cross country trip I will take you to eat at my favorite Des Moines Restaurant. j

Richard said...

Well girl, you went and done it now. A meme, a wordzzle and that awesome voice that makes me laugh, smile and recall my own youth.

I actually had a VW Bus. We named it Thor. It was a place where we listened to The Jefferson Airplane and smoked some pot. A lovely machine, when it ran.

As always, I loved your offering this week.

Rich

Dianne said...

spartacus - could you imagine!! a toddler, a bus and miles and miles of road!! - would be one hell of an education - maybe I'll start with day trips

sylvia - as always laughter is the key ;)
thank heaven for bad aim

jay s - that would be so wonderful!! I really think I might actually get to it one of these days :)

rich - I worked for a guy named Thor!! He swore it was his given name but I never really believed it. He was odd - very odd - and often didn't work much either lol

Anonymous said...

I have tried and tried to work the Wordzzles into my regular life, but there is always one or two that stymie me. HAts off to you!

holly said...

nicely done! i don't think i could use my real life. it's much more boring than the crap i can make up.

this time i tried it too! it was fun! i think we'll chalk mine up to "first time novelty" which will be drastically (hopefully) improved on.

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Dianne! This was great combining the two. Well done. I have a vaccuum sealer and love it. I use it all the time.
I love cold and the bitter cold. For me the colder the better. I ageed 100% with #3. Do take the class newborn care class. I hope your neighbor joins you. I can see you traveling in your VW bus jamming to the tunes. I used to throw things, but most my dolls. Once though my brother pissed me off and I throw my fist. He didn't know what hit him. That was the last time I ever throw a punch. Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh you are very good and soo funny.
I so would love to do a huge trans Canada/USA road trip.

If I buy the VW Bus will you help paint it and share the driving?

Jeff B said...

Okay, on your road trip, if you make it to Oregon I'll have to make you a special mushroom pizza to go along with your VW van.

Also, there is no way anyone who reads here on a regular basis would ever think of asking for bullshit. You definitely shoot straight from the hip!

Dianne said...

quilly - we'll see if I can keep it up! thanks :)

holly - there is not one thing boring about you

lisa - you have so much more patience than me - I end up throwing stuff in Tupperware and forgetting about it :)

rob - in a heartbeat!! I am so there!!

jeff - I could make it a visit your blog friends tour and vlog from each location!!
and thanks :)

Linda Reeder said...

Totally awesome! Oh, ooops, maybe the wrong generation to return to. Far out, way cool, sister.

My son travels in an old orange pop top VW bus that is a hand-me-down from his aunt. It's name is Gus-the-bus.

Reader Wil said...

Well written Dianne! It was very funny and you are clever to combine two memes! I am also a screamer and I notoced that my children are as well. The last time I screamed was at the Arab who wanted to sell me an awful headgear in Egypt and who took my beautiful sunhat away.

the walking man said...

My analyst told me...

Schmoop said...

...he’s from Long Island which is really just Brooklyn with bigger driveways

Ha. That's funny. And, Springtime in Alberta?

Sounds like a poorly written Canadian musical. Cheers Hot Stuff!!

Dianne said...

linda r - gus-the-bus - I love it :)

wil - a sunhat should be left untouched!! my son is so much the opposite of me, he never raises his voice - where did I go wrong!! ;)

mark - can he tell me too?

matt-man - glad you appreciated that ;)

Lisa said...

multitasking meme. i love it!

I almost spit coffee when i read that you were standing on one foot, tweaking a nipple.

priceless.

CG said...

LOL I used to throw things too...shoes, zuchinis, balls of pastry, keys..I'm terrible!

gabrielle said...

Could not wrap my mind around Wordzzle this week. All I kept coming up with was Springtime for Hitler...and, as we know that’s already been done.

If you’re going on a trip. don’t forget to pack the purple crayon.

As for your multitasking skills, I am truly impressed. Just one question. Have you tried tassles?

Deb said...

I am sitting here totally in awe of you! This is one wicked creative post! You truly pulled it off. So you and I are both going to become grammies! Now I must go clean my computer monitor ~ The coffee sprayed everywhere when I read the nipple tweaking part. I am just not going to have any drinks or food in my mouth when I read your posts. :) Thanks for putting a smile on my face! Take care.

the walking man said...

...that I was right out of my head...

I was the type to be most inclined when out of his sight to be out of my mind...

"Twisted"

Joni Mitchell

Dianne said...

lisa - gotta get my exercise ;)

CG - flying pastry balls can be deadly! ... and delcious

gabrielle - purple tassles - hehehehehehehe

deb - I love when I cause a good 'spew' - and congrats on your new granny hood to be!!
we are such cool grams :)

mark - love it!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Dianne...I could not live without my FoodSaver...I just totally use it all the time.

It allows me to cook more than I need, and freeze and then 4-5-6 months later defrost and eat again (and when i tell you it tastes like it was just cooked, i am NOT lying)

Raven said...

Brilliant! Reality wordzzles... a whole new genre. I love it!

Ivanhoe said...

That was a very clever two in one, Di.
If you are really going on that trip some day, don't forget to stop by and see me in Ohio :o)

Dianne said...

bond - OK, OK - you convinced me!! I'll use it again. So - when will you be sending the food you cooked so I can wrap it all for next month ;)

raven - I hope I can keep it going for a spell ;)

ivanhoe - of course I would drop by and see you!!

Mom Knows Everything said...

I would love to drive across Canada. My sister did it last year and she said it was amazing.

tt said...

I love it when you do this! It's another peek into your world...which facinates me. Ya'll gotta stop by good ol Okiehoma on your fantasy trip and see the Teepees and the flat lands and....depending on the time of year..tornado's,floods,ice storms,unbreatheable opressive heat and winds that will blow the snot right outta your nose. sound tempting?? lol
Love ya!!

tt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne said...

tammy - it sounds like a great trip!!

tt - I'm so glad you like reading this stuff :)
I've been to Oklahoma - Tulsa and some towns near it - met the nicest people ever!!