Friday, February 29, 2008

First Saturday Wordzzle


Based on a writing workshop she attended, my friend Raven has initiated Saturday Wordzzle day.

The exercise requires writing a short paragraph using the week’s words. So without further yada yada here’s my contribution to the First Saturday Wordzzle.

The words are:
Ostrich, conga line, lucite, garish, pumpkin seeds, persimmon, autograph, naked truth, false teeth and merry-go-round.

It is the silly naked truth that, even at my age, I love the merry-go-round. It affirms for me all the joys of being quirky. I spend hours there, sometimes watching the children and their parents, more often riding around and around. I used to sit boldly on the horse named Persimmon, enjoying my reckless abandon by not wearing a seat belt. I’d perch on the edge of Persie and throw my arms up in the air as we went around faster and faster. The old merry-go-round would shake and rattle so badly that I swore my false teeth would pop out and land on the garish painted wooden floor, looking up at Persie’s exaggerated fake smile. Even now, while acknowledging my aching bones by sitting on the little lucite benches that replaced the rotting wooden swan shaped seats, I find something new to have fun with. I watch the huge clown face that sits in the center of the merry-go-round looking like a deranged pumpkin, spitting out bubbles as if they were pumpkin seeds. Friends and family laugh lovingly at my eccentric behavior; the wild conga line I organized at my son’s wedding, the time I stood in the freezing rain to get Jon Stewart’s autograph, the huge ostrich pin that I religiously wear on the collar of my bright red coat. The merry-go-round remains my secret.

23 comments:

Raven said...

Awesome good job! This is brilliant! Thanks so much for playing!

Isn't it fun?

kenju said...

You did a good job with those. I have seen a similar game with only 3-4 words, and I would like that one better. Why so many, do you think?

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Wow! Amazing. I wish I was that creative to come up with a paragraph like that. Can't wait until next Saturday for another.

You left a comment last week about Bobbie. Yes we are neighbors. There is one house that separate's us. So when you come down the Parkway we can have a little blogger party.

Have a good weekend. Lisa

Jeni said...

Damned good piece you did there, my dear! I am in awe of anyone who can pull together things like that.

Dianne said...

It is fun Raven, thanks!

kenju - maybe Raven wants to do 2 on Saturday. 10 words and 5 words (like a Wordzzle Mini) - you should ask her :)

that will be great Lisa!! thanks

thank you jeni - it was fun

I hope you guys will try your hand at it!

Jo said...

That was so smooth for having to work with those words! I love merry-go-round horses...and never wear the seatbelt either--life on the edge, Baby :)

R.E.H. said...

That was really good.

And, crap! I was gonna check this thing out and tag along on the fun... I'll have to try to remember to play next week.

Looks difficult, I must say - but you pulled it off real well!

Jay said...

That was really good! I'm terrible at these things. I love to read everybody else's stories though. Sometimes I get inspired to try it too, but I know better than to try. LOL

Dianne said...

thanks jo! it's all just a walk on the wild side ;)

thanks so much REH, that means a lot since I thing you're a really good writer. I'll remind ya next week ;)

I bet I'd love whatever you came up with Jay but it's cool to enjoy reading and you always leave the nicest comments. ;)

Smalltown RN said...

WEll done...those were hard words to incorporate..and it would appear you did it with such ease....

Dianne said...

thank you smalltown rn :)

bobbie said...

Grat paragraph!

I really love the photos of the Red Hat Ladies! Looks like you have GOOD times together! More power to you.

Dianne said...

I'm glad you liked the paragraph bobbie, thanks

I've never met a Red Hat Lady personally, I'd love to. Closest I came was while traveling in Boston - I asked them if I could take their photo and discovered later that I had B&W film in the camera - Duh!!

I found that Red Hat site while looking for photos of "ladies on a carousel"

Akelamalu said...

Oh well done, not an easy task.

Bobkat said...

Wow, well done for getting all those words in that paragraph and for making it so entertaining. I like the ferris wheel :)

Dianne said...

thanks akelamalu. it was actually easier than I thought it would be, and it was fun.

bob-kat - thanks!! I like the ferris wheel too.

CG said...

You're good!! Not forced at all. Maybe I could play too?

Anonymous said...

I love persimmon! That's a cool game! But can you do that drunk? :)

Dianne said...

It would be wonderful if you played CG!! Check out Raven's place for next week's words.

You too mrsmogul - you have quite the flair with words and I may have had a cocktail or two ;)

Pomegranete martinis are my new fave thing!

The link to Raven is in the post

What fun to have more Wordzzlers - drunk or sober

Odat said...

That was fantastic...it's amazing what few words can conjure up in our minds...!!! Good job.
Peace

Linda Murphy said...

Great little story-I promised myself to try this exercise for this week...

btw, I get terribly dizzy on merry-go-rounds! Last time my son wanted to go on, I had to have my MIL take him-I end up staring on one fixed spot so that I don't lose my cookies.

And I would LOVE Jon Stewart's autograph!

Anonymous said...

such a beautiful girls and so lucky to have found her angel.

Dianne said...

hey Cathy - your comment is in the wrong place but as always your heart is in the right one :)